[Orgmode] Idea for agenda notifications

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [Orgmode] Idea for agenda notifications
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:02:21 -0500

Hello list,

I love org-mode and I'm constantly trying to find ways to enhance my GTD workflow with it. One thing that I miss from the more high-level PIMs (such as Evolution) is the notification feature, specifically integrated into the environment (using gnome-notification for example). My idea is to somehow parse my gtd.org file, search for scheduled items and, using an additional metadata in the item, decide when (how long before the event happens) to use gnome-notify (or any other notify mechanism in the OS) to show the reminder of the event. I'm thinking on using Ruby or Python to develop a small daemon that would do that, but I'm not sure if this would be the best way. I would love your suggestions regarding that. Of course, if I manage to make it work, I will release the code as open-source ;)

Thanks,

Marcelo.