[Orgmode] Re: Idea for agenda notifications

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Idea for agenda notifications
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:17:08 -0400

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> I love org-mode and I'm constantly trying to find ways to enhance my
> GTD workflow with it. One thing that I miss from the more high-level
> PIMs (such as Evolution) is the notification feature, specifically
> integrated into the environment (using gnome-notification for
> example). My idea is to somehow parse my gtd.org file, search for
> scheduled items and, using an additional metadata in the item, decide
> when (how long before the event happens) to use gnome-notify (or any
> other notify mechanism in the OS) to show the reminder of the
> event. I'm thinking on using Ruby or Python to develop a small daemon
> that would do that, but I'm not sure if this would be the best way. I
> would love your suggestions regarding that. Of course, if I manage to
> make it work, I will release the code as open-source ;)

I live in Emacs and just use the remind interface for notifications.
They aren't as obvious (read: annoying) as pop-up windows that steal
your mouse and keyboard focus but they work great for me.

Here's my setup.

(defun my-org-agenda-to-appt ()
  (interactive)
  (setq appt-time-msg-list nil)
  (org-agenda-to-appt))

(add-hook 'org-finalize-agenda-hook 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(appt-activate t)
(run-at-time "24:01" nil 'my-org-agenda-to-appt)
(run-at-time "00:59" 3600 'org-save-all-org-buffers)

I've seen other setups for reminder windows and apps on this list so you
might want to search the list archives if you need a different solution.

-Bernt