Re: [Orgmode] org-edit-src-code font lock problem

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-edit-src-code font lock problem
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 10:17:36 -0400

> Hi Dan,
>
> On Apr 29, 2009, at 9:23 PM, Dan Davison wrote:
>
>> I'm finding that the font-lock in the indirect buffer spawned by C-c '
>> on a source code block is not correct when there is a preceding (odd
>> number of) apostrophes / backticks etc (depending on the
>> language). E.g.
>>
>> * this works fine as there is no apostrophe
>> #+begin_src sh
>>  for i in $(seq -w 1 22) ; do
>>      echo $i
>>  done
>> #+end_src
>>
>> * but this doesn't work correctly because of the single-quote /
>> apostrophe
>> #+begin_src sh
>>  for i in $(seq -w 1 22) ; do
>>      echo $i
>>  done
>> #+end_src
>>
>> The second example thinks it's in a single-quote-delimited string.
>
> Hmmm, this is a serious problem................. time passing ......
> OK, I have addressed it by using not a narrowed indirect buffer to
> edit these snippets, but a truly separate buffer.

Great, thanks.

> Thanks for the report.
>

>> org-version 6.26trans
>> emacs-version 23.0.91.1
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> p.s. A minor wish-list item: would it be possible to introduce a
>> variable (say org-expert or something like that) which, when non-nil,
>> prevents the appearance of instructive messages such as the one that
>> appears on org-edit-src-code?
>
> Which one do you mean?  The message in the echo area (last line of
> the frame), or the one appearing permanently in the first line of
> the buffer window?

The permanent one in the first line.

> And which other cases of messages did you have in mind?

None at the moment! I just thought, seeing as the header is used to give
a help message by org-edit-src-code, it might be worth introducing a
mechanism whereby one can choose between two "levels" of help
messages. I didn't mean to give the impression that I had several things
I wanted to change.

> I am not sure if I understand how these are bothering you.

I admit this is a personal and mainly aesthetic preference -- once I've
learned how to use it and the relevant key binding, I prefer to have
(the option to have) a screen free from content other than the minimum
necessary (the echo area will still provide the information). I'm
guessing that quite a few org users have dispensed with the emacs menu
bar (and scroll bars), and was thinking that the proposed option might
appeal to those sorts of people.

Dan

p.s. I think the docstring in org-edit-src-code needs updating to
reflect the change.