Re: [Orgmode] FR: make LaTeX export recognize LANGUAGE option

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] FR: make LaTeX export recognize LANGUAGE option
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 10:19:37 -0400

Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <address@hidden> wrote:

> I couldn't find any references to babel in the mailing list nor in
> org-latex.el. I have various latex export class headers, but I
> sometimes write in English and sometimes in Norwegian, and this is not
> bound to the classes (beamer, ps-article, pdf-article). As it is, I've
> had
>
> \usepackage[nynorsk,english]{babel}
>
> in all my class headers, and then eg.
> \selectlanguage{nynorsk}
> in the org file.
>
> But before printout I've had to go into the .tex-file and remove
> whatever language I'm not using, deleting the .aux file and rerunning
> latex, since Apacite doesn't recognize the \selectlanguage within the
> literature list (eg. I get English "in" and "from" and such).
>
> So, I was wondering if we could have an option to let
>
> #+LANGUAGE: nn
>
> make the header say
>
> \usepackage[nynorsk]{babel}
>
> etc., so that, at least for monolingual documents, one doesn't have to
> do all this mucking about with \selectlanguage and deleting .aux
> files.
>
> If implemented, I think I might've read somewhere that babel should be
> loaded early on in the header, but other people probably know this
> better than me. (I guess it shouldn't be too hard to put it on the
> line right after \documentclass ?)
>
> Possibly "#+LANGUAGE: nn en" could be used for multilingual documents,
> but that seems low priority to me.

Part of the problem is that if you have previous runs, the aux file and such
are going to be present and they will need cleaning up no matter what you
do at the org level.

Purely at the org level, there may be a better way, but this is what I
came up with: you can hack around this by defining your own
"class". E.g. in your org file you say

#+LaTeX_CLASS: myclass

and you add a definition for ``myclass'' to org-export-latex-classes,
something like this (I just copied the ``article'' entry, modified the name
and added the babel stuff - and you probably still need to add
the \selectlanguage more-or-less by hand, but I guess you can do it at the
org level):

(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-classes
  '("myclass"
     "\\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\\usepackage[nynorsk]{babel}
\\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\\usepackage{graphicx}
\\usepackage{longtable}
\\usepackage{hyperref}"
     ("\\section{%s}" . "\\section*{%s}")
     ("\\subsection{%s}" . "\\subsection*{%s}")
     ("\\subsubsection{%s}" . "\\subsubsection*{%s}")
     ("\\paragraph{%s}" . "\\paragraph*{%s}")
     ("\\subparagraph{%s}" . "\\subparagraph*{%s}")))

Does this help?

Nick