Re: [Orgmode] Show parent PROJECTS for an item

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Show parent PROJECTS for an item
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:29:36 -0500

Hi Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> Another aspect is that when you archive and item (when it's DONE) it's
> nice to know it's context. If you have a NEXT ACTION that belongs to a
> project and this specific NA is already DONE, if you archive it you'll
> loose context. (you might want to data mine the archive file later,
> never knows :)).

Org-mode already can save context info as properties. See the variable
org-archive-save-context-info.

,----[From 2.6.2 in the Manual]
`----

> Maybe we could create a GTD extension to org-mode? I'd love to help in
> the development, but I have no idea on how the code is structured and
> or how easy is to add / modify current features (coupling, plugin
> model, etc). Is there any document that explains it?

In your view, what aspects of GTD are not yet possible within org-mode?
It seems to me that org-mode offers the ability to implement everything
in GTD (contexts, natural project planning, calendar, multiple views of
the same data, etc). How exactly one implements GTD, of course, is up to
the user.

As a place to start customizing, I would recommend creating custom
agenda commands. This tutorial offers some custom commands for use with
GTD:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php

And, of course, there is Charles Cave's excellent tutorial on
implementing GTD in org-mode:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/index.php

Hope this helps,

Matt