Re: [Orgmode] howto refile to non-agenda file?

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] howto refile to non-agenda file?
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 22:10:32 -0500

Hi Eraldo,

Eraldo Helal <address@hidden> writes:

> howto refile to non-agenda file?
>
> I want to be able to refile projects to a reference.org file.
> At the moment, if I create that file in the same directory as eraldo.org,
> it will show up as refile option, but also in the agenda!

You can specify the files you'd like to refile to with
org-refile-targets. You can add as many additional files as you'd like,
indicating for each how deep you'd like the refile targets to descend
(i.e., 1st level, 2nd level, etc.).

Here's my current customization, to provide an example:

(setq org-refile-targets '((org-agenda-files :maxlevel . 2)
                           (nil :maxlevel . 3)
                           ("~/mystuff/wiki/wiki.org" :maxlevel . 1)))

> Another question I have is: How can I refile an item or tree to a new file?

You can create a new headline within a file when you refile, but I'm not
aware of any way to create a new file.

Regards,
Matt