Re: [Orgmode] timer for a task

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] timer for a task
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:18:45 +0200

On May 25, 2009, at 5:43 PM, Konstantin Antipin wrote:

Here is the patch to org-clock.el that does show estimated effort in
the mode-line if it is set.  Like so: 01:20/01:30 (clocked
time/estimated time)
 It does it by:
   * Setting new variable org-clock-effort in org-clock-in function.
* If org-clock-effort is not nil, show estimated effort in the mode-line.

I would like to go further and do the following:
* Make a beep/or highlight if we spend more time on a task that
initially intended
* As proposed by Daniel, give user an option to see total time, spend
on the task instead of currently clocked time.

Does somebody else need this? Will this changes be accepted to the
orgmode-core?
I just saw that in order to contribute, you need to sign some papers..
Is this the only way?
I am new to open-source, so I am not really familiar with such things.

Hi Konstantin,

this is interesting functionality which I would like to have in the core.

I can accept short patches of only a few lines without the paperwork, but
your patch is already at the limit, and adding the other ideas you have
will push it over that limit.  We have the following possibilities:

1. You sign the papers.  This is very simple to do, unless you have
   an employer who owns everything you do and who might make problems.
   This would be my preferred solution.

2. I can put stuff without FSF copyright assignment into the
   contrib directory - you could make a little package that hooks
   into Org, I would created any hooks needed.

3. I treat your contribution as an "idea/feature request" and implement
it myself. As I have many other things to do, this is my least preferred
   solution.

If you decide to sign the papers, please get the form from the homepage
orgmode.org (near te end) and send it to the FSF, with a CC to me. This will take you no more than 2 minutes. We can then proceed with integrating your stuff into the Org core, but I will be able to integrate this change into Emacs only after I receive confirmation about the signed paper, which will happen within a fee weeks or so.

- Carsten

best,
Konstantin