Re: [Orgmode] Re: Trouble setting variables in custom agenda command

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Trouble setting variables in custom agenda command
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:26:21 -0400

[Bernt, thanks very much for taking the time to do the set-up: it makes
things so much easier!]

I've made a little progress debugging this in the case of the
org-agenda-start-with-log-mode variable: the doc for it says

,----
| org-agenda-start-with-log-mode is a variable defined in `org-agenda.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| The initial value of log-mode in a newly created agenda window.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

Note that *initial*: it is only used once, in org-agenda-mode, to
initialize org-agenda-show-log.  So setting it in the definition of an
agenda custom command (effectively in a (let ...) form) will not work:
org-agenda-mode has been called already by the time the custom command
is executed, and the global value of org-agenda-start-with-log-mode has
been used to set org-agenda-show-log. Any local binding later on has no
effect at all.

So the workaround for this variable is to set org-agenda-show-log in the
definition of the custom command. The following works as far as the log
goes:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("c" "The Cycle"
         ((agenda ""
                  (
                   (org-agenda-overriding-columns-format "%75ITEM %7Effort{:}
%7CLOCKSUM{Total} %15TAGS %SCHEDULED")  ;; no
                   (org-agenda-view-columns-initially t)   ;; no
                   (org-agenda-show-log t) ;;yes
                   (org-agenda-ndays 1)    ;; yes
                   (org-agenda-skip-function  ;; yes
                    '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp "\\* TODO")))))
         nil nil)))

I presume that a similar problem afflicts the column view variables,
but I have not gone there yet.

Thanks,
Nick