Re: [Orgmode] org-batch-agenda lock problem

From: Angus Gibson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-batch-agenda lock problem
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 22:53:13 +1000

On 09/06/2009, at 22:24 , Carsten Dominik wrote:

On Jun 9, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Angus Gibson wrote:

I am a recent convert to org-mode, and the ability to export the agenda is very useful. Currently I have a script that runs every 10 seconds or so that calls:

emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -eval '(org-batch-agenda "a" org-agenda- ndays 1)' 2>/dev/null

The following may or may not work, depending on what happens in non- interactive emacs sessions when a lock is encountered. Maybe this would work?

emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -eval '(progn (defun ask-user-about-lock (&rest args) nil) (org-batch-agenda "a" org-agenda-ndays 1))' 2>/dev/ null

Simple enough solution, thanks. I think it's a bit weird that it is encountering the lock, but I suppose getting rid of the confirmation is the easiest step for a completely non-interactive session.

Thanks,
Angus

or

emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs -eval '(progn (defun file-locked-p (&rest args) nil) (org-batch-agenda "a" org-agenda-ndays 1))' 2>/dev/null

These are bad hacks, but should be OK sice creating an agenda should not modify any file buffers...

- Carsten

In order to put the agenda items on my desktop. This works fine, until I start to edit the org file. From what I have gathered, this causes a lock to be placed, and org-batch-agenda has a collision with this lock, resulting in no output because it's trying to output the message about resolving the collision. Obviously this isn't very useful, so I was wondering why org-batch-agenda would have to modify the file, or possibly the easiest way to resolve this (I'm not amazing with Emacs).

Thanks,
Angus