Re: [Orgmode] In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] In response to: .emacs works on Mac but not on Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 18:12:18 -0400

Graham Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> > What may be happening is that Ubuntu has a default version of org-mode
> > pre-installed in the primary load path directories, so that is what is being
> > picked up and not your latest version.  To check that, type
> >
> > dpkg --list | grep org
> >
> > and see if org mode was installed by the package manager.  If so, just do a
> > normal remove and see if that doesn't take care of it.
>
> I can't check this just now (as I don't have access to my ubuntu
> machine at the moment)  but as I understand it Org-mode is distributed
> with Emacs now, but the commands in the .emacs file over ride the
> built in version and use the version in the path set up in .emacs.
> That is what happens on the Mac, unless I have misunderstood.

Jere may be right: I recall previous discussions on the list that
indicated this kind of problem. You might want to check for the existence
of /etc/emacsXXX/site-start.d/50org-mode.el.

I can't find a reference to this mail in the archive (the thread seems to have
been cut off somehow), but I found it in my archive: Scot Becker had
pointed out the existence of this file to Eraldo Helal and that turned out
to be the problem. Here is what Eraldo had to say about it:

,----

| Sender: Eraldo Helal <address@hidden>
| From: Eraldo Helal <address@hidden>
| To: Scot Becker <address@hidden>
| Cc: address@hidden, Org-Mode <address@hidden>
| Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 19:29:32 +0200 (CEST)
| Subject: Re: [Orgmode] ascii export error
|

| [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
| I deleted "/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50org-mode.el".
| Everything works as intended now.
|
| Special thanks to Nick and Scot. :)
|
| On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:36, Scot Becker <address@hidden> wrote:
|
|     On a debian-based system, and perhaps others, /etc/emacs/site-start.d
|     has a few files that set variables and define functions for use with
|     the Debian(Ubuntu, etc) system policies.  There might be nothing in
|     there that your setup depends on, but I wouldn't want to risk it. you
|     can glance through the files in there and see what kinds of things
|     they touch.
|
|     However, if you want to try without it, you can rename it.  If that
|     causes errors, you can rename it, then create an empty directory in
|     the same place /etc/emacs/site-start.d.
|
|     If that's where the problem is, the principal of dissection should
|     work there as well, just move the files out of the directory one at a
|     time (tryiing your export with emacs -Q each time, to see where the
|     offending file is.
|
|     Scot
|
|     On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Eraldo Helal <address@hidden> wrote:
|     > Is it save to just delte that directory: /etc/emacs/site-start.d
|     > Because I guess the error lies somewhere in there.
|     > Or is this directory important for something?
|     >
|     > On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 22:46, Eraldo Helal <address@hidden> wrote:
|     >>
|     >> I discovered that there is a directory: /etc/emacs/site-start.d
|     >> http://paste.org/6848
|     >>
|     >> Does this also get loaded by default and ignored with --no-site-file ?
//
|     >> that would make some sense again (to me)
|     >
|     >
|     > _______________________________________________
|     > Emacs-orgmode mailing list
|     > Remember: use `Reply All' to send replies to the list.
|     > address@hidden
|     >
|     >

| [[End of PGP Signed Part]]
`----

But I don't think that there is an org-mode package as Jere suggests: I
think it came as part of emacs. You'll probably need to do a little
surgery as the mail describes.

HTH,
Nick