Re: [Orgmode] Using org-mode and git to make a wiki

From: David Libert
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Using org-mode and git to make a wiki
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 04:43:47 -0400

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 3:31 AM, Nicolas Girard <address@hidden> wrote:
2009/6/17 David Libert <address@hidden>

I only started learning about org-mode in the last few days.  I have been reading documentation about it and am very impressed by the system.

I have been wondering about the possibilties if using org-mode and git to run an improved style of wiki.

Hi David,
what about Blorgit...?
http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php

Nicolas

Hi Nicolas:

Thanks,  blorgit was one of the ones I had encountered in search, but I looked clser at it just now
after getting your reply.

As I noted in the opening post,  I wanted the readers to have org-mode running.  Checking more closely
into blorgit, I see it does that, even for readers coming in over the web through browsers.  blorgit
provides a rails plugin,  act-as-org,  to give org-mode functionality.  It also provides an edit button,
to let web readers edit your  org-mode files.

And it is maintained by git.  So you could also advertise your reposititry from inside the blog, and let
people pull it.  Then you could pull back or let them push, to also give them git revisions, which they
could do from insde emacs and org-mode.

Or else let them edit online from the browser.

So this sounds like ideally it could do a lot of what I wanted.  And more, because it also presents a web
interface to some, with org-mode features and editting of org-mode files.

It might be difficult for me to use with my setup though, though maybe there is a way.

I dual boot between sidux  (a Linux disto) and XP.  blorgit needs to have emacs server running to serve
web pages.

I have an ISP where I am allowed to put up static web pages.

This point about being out of sidux sometimes makes a problem for my own version too.  For that I was planning to find git hostiing for my git repository.

Maybe there is web hosting where they could run the emacs server and rails?