[Orgmode] Creating Org Table using Calc on C-syntax hex integers

From: Joseph Oswald
Subject: [Orgmode] Creating Org Table using Calc on C-syntax hex integers
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:24:48 -0400

GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE
Running on Windows XP Pro
org-version 4.67c

I have composed a table in org including integers using C-syntax hexadecimal.

| Variable Name             | Current | Target.exe locn | Address of |        |
|                           |  Source |                 |  reference |  Delta |
|---------------------------+---------+-----------------+------------+--------|
| read_thread_func          | 0x11450 |         0x11450 |    0x113b8 |        |
| MainWndProc               | 0x18190 |         0x18190 |    0x11284 |        |
| l_bData                   | 0x1d1b8 |         0x1d194 |    0x187d8 |   0x24 |

I would like to create a formula that causes the difference between
two columns in this format to be calculated and displayed (preferably,
but not necessarily) in the same C-syntax, in the Delta column. (The
0x24 was calculated by hand in the above excerpt)

The file itself is primarily an org file, not a C file, and I would
prefer to keep the choice of C-syntax for Calc localized to this
particular .org file, or even better, to this particular table.

I have tried persuading the embedded calc mode to use the C "language
mode" for the table, it seems like there should be a line like

 % [calc-mode: language-mode: c]

or % [calc-mode: calc-language-option: c]

or some other thing that could be placed somewhere near the table or
in the file to affect how Calc treats the numbers in the table, but I
can't seem to figure how to make that happen. I find the Calc
documentation of this stuff to be a little confusing, as to which
names in the source and/or documentation apply to which context.

It appears from the .el source that the settings specific to org-calc
(i.e., following a semicolon after the formula are hard-coded to the
limited set described in "Formula Syntax for Calc"), not including
this setting.

1) Is it possible to do this?
2) If so, how?

Thanks for your help.

--Joe

P.S. The org-mode info file "Feedback node" suggests mailing Carsten
Dominik directly for "questions, remarks, or ideas" instead of this
mailing list. I assumed this list was a more appropriate target.