Re: [Orgmode] Release 6.28

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Release 6.28
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:24:14 +0200

On Jun 25, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Bastien wrote:

Bulk action
============

You can now use the `s' key to select entries in the agenda.
When one or more entries have been selected, the `B' key will
execute an action on all selected entries.  I believe this bulk
action makes mainly sense for the commands that require answering
interactive prompts.  So far the supported actions are

- Refile all selected entries to a single destination
- Archive all selected entries
- Set the TODO state of all selected entries, bypassing any
  blocking or note-taking.
- Add or remove a tag to/from all selected entries

We can add more actions, if you convince me they make sense.

I'm a bit disoriented with the new keybinding for `s' -- I got used
to it the same way I'm used to `C-x C-s'.

This is why `C-x C-s' seems to me the perfect key for this.

Also, I think it would be nice to make this "bulk action" feature more
consistent with bulk action mechanisms from other packages like dired,
buff-menu.el or bookmark-mode.el.

You know, I have been agonizing over these bindings,
switching them back and forward.  Obviously, I would like
to have things like in dired and similar programs.

I don't want to switch `d' to `D', no way. One of the consistent things in the agenda keymap is that caleandar/diary related keys are upper case. `d' and `w' are not negotiable.

With `d' and `w' in place, `m' and `y' are consistent, logical. However, I don't believe anyone uses monthly views, I am sure
that no-one uses yearly views, right?  So I will negotiate over
`m', i someone can propose a viable alternative that makes sense.

u and U are free, so this will be good and we should use this.

I strongly hesitate to use "x" for action, because it has
been "exit" for so many years, and because I don't want
anyone to execute this command by accident....

- Carsten

Here is how the keys are mapped on various modes:

| key | dired  & bookmark-mode & buff-menu | Org           |
|-----+------------------------------------+---------------|
| m   | mark                               | month view    |
| u   | unmark                             |               |
| d   | mark for deletion                  | day view      |
| D   | delete marked                      | include diary |
| x   | perform actions                    | exit agenda   |
| U   | unmark (only in dired)             | [unset]       |

I propose to use [dmuUx] the same way in Org. We could move the daily,
weekly, monthly view to respectively D,W,M.

This would discard the diary inclusion (currently on 'D') and the
display of the Moon's phases (currently on 'M') -- not sure whether a
lot of people use this anyway, and these commands can still find key
bindings.

I like 'U' from dired, it's very convenient to be able to delete all
marks at once (I which this could be implemented in buff-menu.el and
bookmark-mode as well...)

Carsten, what do you think?

--
Bastien