Re: [Orgmode] [Beta Release / Development Invitation] Org-Babel --- code

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [Beta Release / Development Invitation] Org-Babel --- code evaluation for reproducible-research and literate-programming in org-mode
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:43:18 -0400

Taru Karttunen <address@hidden> writes:

> Excerpts from Eric Schulte's message of Thu Jun 25 23:25:30 +0300 2009:
>> For the past couple of months I have been working on Org-Babel, with Dan
>> Davison and (initially) Austin Frank.  Through Org-Babel Org-Mode can
>> communicate with programming languages.  Code contained in source-code
>> blocks can be evaluated and data can pass seamlessly between different
>> programming languages, Org-Mode constructs (tables, file links, example
>> text) and interactive comint buffers. One part of the project is the
>> "Library of Babel", which will be an extensible collection of ready-made
>> and easily-shortcut-callable source-code blocks for handling common
>> tasks.
>
> How do I try it out?

Hi Taru and other potential org-babel collaborators,

org-babel-init.el is what you need, so:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/org-babel/lisp")
(require 'org-babel-init)

After that, good starting points to see in action some of the
functionality that Eric has implemented are the `Sandbox' section of
org-babel.org, and the large table in the `Tests' section. C-c C-c
anywhere in a source code block in the Sandbox should execute that
block. In the Tests section, C-u C-c C-c in the table runs a suite of
tests of org-babel functionality, updating the table with the results of
code evaluation in several languages, and flagging up failed tests (more
fun if you clear out the `results' and `pass' column first).

Dan