Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export bugs?

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export bugs?
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:19:22 +0200

On Jun 26, 2009, at 3:34 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:

Hello,

To make things clear, I love Org-mode (yes, I voted) and its LaTeX export. More than you can imagine: I now look for avoiding writing any LaTeX document,
and have the export do all the work for me...

BTW, any solution for exporting to a Beamer presentation? I'd be very very very interested by anything in that direction. That's the last piece of the
whole puzzle, IMHO.

Though, working more and more in that direction (Org-mode -> LaTeX), I've seen a couple of weird things that I've compiled into an ECM, for ease of use:

* Org

- If you have a level 3 item under a level 1 item, the level 3 doesn't get exported to LaTeX. I know this is not a normal situation, but it happens when restructuring some text, and you loose it in the exported view...

Yes, the parser currently requires the structure to be consistent
and does not fail gracefully if not.....

***** THIS SECTION WILL DISAPPEAR!!

This text is not exported. Though, I'm not always aware of it, when
     sections are long (spreading over more than one screen page)...

*** Level 2 -- is there a level 3 above?

   - Table with formulas and environment /framed/ :

     The following table will be framed, but TBL formulas do not work
     anymore.

       #+ATTR_LaTeX: align=lrrr
       #+LaTeX: \begin{framed}
       | Code      | \euro{} |  \% | \euro{} |
       |-----------+---------+-----+---------|
       | GSM       |         |     |    0.00 |
       | Internet  |  168.45 | 100 |  168.45 |
       | Matériel  |  295.99 | 100 |  295.99 |
       | Publicité |  214.25 |  33 |   70.70 |
       | Autres    |         |     |    0.00 |
       |-----------+---------+-----+---------|
       | Total     |         |     |  535.14 |
       #+LaTeX: \end{framed}
       #+TBLFM: $4=$2*$3/100;%.2f::@7$4=vsum(@address@hidden)

Swapping these two last lines gives LaTeX errors... What's the solution for having both: an environment around the table and formulas that work?

This is a hard problem.  It is on my list, but will not be fixed soon.

Why do I have to escape the sign symbol as soon as I put LaTeX commands
     (and not BEGIN..END_LaTeX) near it?

I do not understand what you mean here.

- Hyperlink to other sections: see [[To be referenced]]. Looking in the produced LaTeX code, it always link to the current section instead!

Have not yet looked into this.  Use IDs or custom IDs to links to
sections, that is much better.

- Quotes are sometimes exported in a weird /fashion/ : see "Industriels,
     et commerçants". And compare with the quotes in the next sample
     ("Industriels et commerçants").

Fixed.

     See as well that /fashion/ is not in italic above.

It is for me

Apparently because of
     the special non-breaking space following the second slash...

Looks like the non-breaking space did not make it through
the mailing process.  What exactly are you using?

BTW, a
possibility would be to translate the "non-breaking space" to its LaTeX
     equivalent syntax (the "tilde" sign).

* To be referenced

 This should be the landing point for the hyperreference above.

Once again, thanks to all of you that provide us with those wonderful
features...

Best regards,
 Seb

--