Re: [Orgmode] Re: Publishing subsections of an orgmode file (HTML)

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Publishing subsections of an orgmode file (HTML)
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:29:28 -0400

Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> Ben <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think that's my first post here and I would like first of all to
>> thank you all for your amazing work.
>
> Welcome!
>

>> My first question is: How can I publish a subsection of one of these
>> files as a webpage (and this subsection only)? I occasionally do that
>> manually with C-c C-e [R] export-region, which export the subsection
>> as a HTML page in an Emacs buffer. What I would like to do is to put a
>> comment in the org file subsection to set the HTML 'target' location
>> page such as
>>
>> * Topic A
>> ** Things to do [...] (private)
>> ** Interesting Notes I would like to publish
>> #+THIS_REGION_TARGET_FILE=~/public_html/myfile.html
>
> You can specify the target file for an exported region using the
> property EXPORT_FILE_NAME. E.g.
>
> * Topic A
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: ~/public_html/myfile.html
>   :END:
> ** Things to do [...] (private)
> ** Interesting Notes I would like to publish
>
> You'll need to select the tree with C-c @ before exporting for this to
> work.
>
> See this section of the manual for more information:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Export-options.html

Hi Ben,

Also, see this section

http://orgmode.org/manual/Selective-export.html#Selective-export

As the manual says, "This behavior is governed by two variables:
org-export-select-tags and org-export-exclude-tags." These are both
lists of tags. The default values contain a single tag each: "export"
and "noexport" respectively.

So, e.g.

#+title: Selective export test 1

* This subtree is exported                                           :export:
  Stuff in expored subtree
* But not this one as there is an `export' tag in the buffer
  Stuff that won't be exported

#+title: Selective export test 2

* This subtree will be exported, with a single subtree exclusion
  h1 contents
*** h1.2
    h1.2 contents
*** h2.2 (won't be exported)                                       :noexport:
    h2.2 contents
* This subtree will be exported
  Stuff that will be exported

#+title: Selective export test 3

* This subtree will be exported, with a single subtree exclusion     :export:
  h1 contents
*** h1.2
    h1.2 contents
*** h2.2 (won't be exported)                                       :noexport:
    h2.2 contents
* This subtree won't be exported, since an export tag is present in the buffer
  Stuff that won't be exported

Dan

p.s. In the first and third case, is it arguable that the :export: tag
should not appear in the exported HTML/pdf?