Re: [Orgmode] Re: Comments in Org-mode

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Comments in Org-mode
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 19:15:42 +0200

Matthew Lundin <address@hidden> writes:
> Manuel Amador <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I think I have found a bug (or a feature!). Sometimes when
>> writing documents I tend to comment out a line by adding a "#"
>> in the column 0. However, after doing this in a line at the
>> middle of the document, I get the following behavior:

>> * Random stuff
>>
>>   Some initial things.
>>
>> # Then I comment this line out
>>
>>   But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
>> # the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
>> # and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.
>
> I cannot duplicate the problem (but only partially). I experienced extra
> comment lines inserted only when there was no space between the initial
> comment line and the uncommented line, i.e.:
>

> # Then I comment this line out
>   But when I keep writing a sufficiently long line such that
> # the cursor moves to the next line, a "#" character creeps in!
> # and will keep appearing for the remainder of the document.
>
> I did not experience extra comment lines in lines further down the text.

I can reproduce it with `emacs -Q' here (transient-mark-mode is t in
current emacs 23). The trick is to use `comment-region'.

Here's the recipe:

sh$  emacs -Q

  C-x d ~/emacs/lisp/ext/org-mode/lisp RET
  % m \.elc$   RET
  L y
  L y
  L y
  L y
  L y

  ... until files are loaded successfully

  C-x C-f file.org
  M-x auto-fill-mode

To get the error, you must select a region:

   C-SPACE C-n C-n C-n
   M-x comment-region RET # RET

Note here: the indentation is wrong. You might want to correct this,
before going on (comment char not in first column). It doesn't change
the behavior.

Now type some `C-j' more text and see what happens.

The bad thing is, once it started, it never ends. No matter where text
is wrapped, you get the `#' at the start of line.

Also, _no_ comment char is inserted, if add a comment by hand without a
preceding new line. To try this, you'll have to restart emacs -Q

       weoru oeori tueportpoeiurptoeiurtopueoru toeuiroeuir topewrtoeoru
       toeu toe  ewprou oeur poeuiopuwe rteowp ru erwoi uteo t.
     # Asdfsdf - NOW ADD A LOT OF TEXT TO THIS COMMENT ...

  Sebastian