[Orgmode] Re: org-style folding for a .emacs

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: org-style folding for a .emacs
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 23:02:09 +0200

Hello Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> I've added some simplifying functions to the literate programming
> functionality of org-babel.  It should now be easy to embed your elisp
> initialization into org-mode files.  Specifically there is now a new
> `org-babel-load-file' function which can load the elisp portions of
> org-mode files in the same manner as the normal `load-file' command.
>
> To use this you need to clone the latest version of org-babel[1], and
> then add the following to your emacs initialization (this worked for me
> when a base emacs "emacs -Q").
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/org/lisp")
> (add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/org-babel/lisp")
> (require 'org-babel-init)
> ;; now you can load your org-mode files with embedded elisp
> (org-babel-load-file "~/path/to/org-mode-file.org")
> ;; for example
> (org-babel-load-file "~/path/to/org-babel/test-tangle.org")
>
> Hopefully this will provide the literate programming functionality
> without too much trouble.

I'm a heavy user of "literate programming" for rapports I write for clients
(in fact, for me, first, but I give them to our clients as well).

Up to a couple of months ago, I was doing literate programming via LaTeX and
nuweb, from Windows as my nuweb binary was just available for that platform.
So, writing a `.w' file from which I extract a `.tex' one and the source code.

Then, the last time I did it, I switched to doing such reports under Ubuntu,
with the noweb package. That is a `.nw' file which is "compiled" to a `.tex',
and which is as well outputting all my code.

This is nice, and works well. But, now, I am trying as hard as possible to
avoid writing LaTeX directly and let Org do the work for me. So, if I can use
Org to create my `.tex' file and the source code from it as well (did I
understand correctly?), then that will be wonderful.

Do you have examples or a tiny tutorial about this?

Best regards,
  Seb

PS- Excellent you're looking at this, because I thought I was the latest
    "literate programmer" on earth. All the mailing lists about that are
    dying.

--
Sébastien Vauban