Re: [Orgmode] Error after org-remember-insinuate on Aquamacs

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Error after org-remember-insinuate on Aquamacs
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:03:42 -0400

Markus Baden <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, I'm not really fluent in emacs, but I try to describe my problem
> anyhow ;-) I'm using org-mode in Aquamacs for a while now and since
> lately the following error occurs (unfortunately I don't know what
> change caused the problem):

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Aquamacs other than the name.

> When loading the minimal .emacs below [1], which just loads org-mode
> and remember, I get the following error:
>
>       Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

This typically means that there is a recursive call (or a set of mutually
recursive calls) that does not "bottom out".

> My setup is
>       Aquamacs 1.8
>       orgmode 6.27a
>       remember 2.0
>
> If I load the same .emacs in the console based emacs (22.3.1) of the
> fink distribution on my mac no error occurs. And also no error occurs
> when commenting out org-remember-insinuate.

I hope you are starting both Aquamacs and the "normal" emacs so that they
don't load any init files at all. For "normal" emacs, that's the -Q switch;
I don't know what it is for Aquamacs. The only way I can think of that this
difference in behavior might arise is by having the different emacsen start
differently.

> Can anybody tell me what this max-specpdl-size is about (except from
> what i have learned from describe-variable) and (hopefully) help to
> get my Aquamacs/org-setup working again.
>
> (Btw: How can I debug emacs in order to find out where exactly the
> error lies)

See the Feedback section in the org manual:

    http://orgmode.org/manual/index.html#Feedback

It's likely that you'll get a large backtrace buffer, but it should be
possible to find a cycle of calls that repeats endlessly in the backtrace.

> Thank you very much for your help,
>
> Markus
>
> [1] Here is the .emacs:
> ;; Org-Mode
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-6.27a/lisp" load-path))
> (require 'org-install)
>
> ;; Orgmode remember
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/remember/" load-path))
> (require 'remember)
> (org-remember-insinuate) ; Fails!
> (define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

FWIW, I tried this on my emacs (ubuntu 8.04, GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu),
Org-mode version 6.28trans) and had no problem.

HTH,
Nick