Re: [Orgmode] Re: Results of the SourceForge Community Award

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Results of the SourceForge Community Award
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:13:17 +0100

At Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:43:04 -0400, Raffi R wrote:

> That's an interesting point. I started using org-mode randomly,
> because I was writing an outline and didn't care for outline-mode and
> figured org-mode should be compatible. After I'd used it for a couple
> outlines, I found it could export to HTML. And LaTeX. And worked as a
> day planner...
>
> In terms of marketing within the Emacs community, it might be worth
> advertising it as an outline-mode replacement. Has anyone written a
> simple tutorial explaining how to use org-mode just in this way, and
> then providing a link to, say, the manual/Worg at the end? Most of the

I am a very long time emacs user (~25 years) (mind you, I'm an even
longer vi user... ;-) but even I didn't start using org-mode until
recently (last year).  I did try it a couple of years ago but wasn't
impressed for some reason.  In the meantime, I started using planner,
muse and todo.  I'd used outline-mode for quite a while.  Anyway, I
subsequently ran across Carsten's google tech talk and I decided to
try org-mode again.  What a difference!  I think having used all these
disparate tools, each with their own way of working, and then finding
that org-mode essentially handled all of them in a consistent manner
was a huge selling point.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that Carsten's tech talk is one key
advertising element we should ensure stays prominent wherever possible!

eric