Re: [Orgmode] org-mode meets git a first proposal ?!

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mode meets git a first proposal ?!
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 04:40:42 +0800

Hi Totti,

just a few words regarding preserving links.

About /finding/ links, I just added this simple function, which is
quite handy I guess:

(defun org-occur-link-in-agenda-files ()
  "Create a link and search for it in the agendas.
The link is not stored in `org-stored-links', it is just created
for the search purpose."
  (interactive)
  (let ((link (condition-case nil
                  (org-store-link nil)
                (error "Unable to create a link from here"))))
    (org-occur-in-agenda-files (regexp-quote link))))

For example, you are in your mailbox, you have the nasty feeling that
this old mail you are re-reading has been stored in your agenda, this
function helps you find it.

About preserving links -- yes, this is a problem.  I tried to implement
a registry long time ago: this is org-registry.el in the contrib/ dir.
Please have a look.  I don't maintain it anymore, but it might be still
usable.  If people are interested in using it more, I will look at it
again.

Another simple and useful approach: I often break links by moving a file
from dired.  A solution could be to advise dired-do-rename so that it
checks whether the file(s) at point is/are link(s) in an org file.  If
so, the function could just send a warning, and maybe update the links.
That would be a beginning.  Of course, this doesn't fix the problem
when moving files from the shell...

As for linking to specific versions of a file under versioning, I have
a few ideas I'm working on, I let you know later.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien