Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-style folding for a .emacs

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-style folding for a .emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:51:10 -0600

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> "Eric Schulte" wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> To demonstrate creation of documents, open the "test-export.org" file in
>> the base of the org-babel directory, and export it as you would any
>> other org-mode file.  The "exports" header argument controls how
>> source-code blocks are exported, with the following options
>>
>> - none :: no part of the source-code block is exported in the document
>> - results :: only the output of the evaluated block is exported
>> - code :: the code itself is exported
>> - both :: both the code and results are exported
>
> I have this error showing up:
>
> executing Ruby source code block
> apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, irb

Hi Sébastien,

The problem here is that org-babel panics when trying to evaluate ruby
code blocks because you don't have the required ruby executables
available on your system.  Probably the best way to deal with this is to
remove ruby from the list of languages supported by babel by adding the
following in your initialization file [1].  Eventually we will need to
find a better way of allowing users to selectively add languages to
org-babel.

>>> PS- Excellent you're looking at this, because I thought I was the latest
>>>     "literate programmer" on earth. All the mailing lists about that are
>>>     dying.
>>
>> While I find the notion of literate programming very appealing, I have
>> no practical experience with it.  The literate programming functionality
>> in org-babel was inspired by talking with Eric Neilsen and by the sense
>> that literate programming fit with org-babel's focus on code blocks.
>>
>> As you are actually familiar with literate programming and tools like
>> noweb, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the current
>> and potential future literate programming implementations in org-babel.
>
> For sure. I'll be more than happy to describe what I do. In case we all can
> come to something (much) better than the current way I do things.

Wonderful.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks -- Eric

> Seb

Footnotes:
[1]

(setq org-babel-interpreters (delete "ruby" org-babel-interpreters))