RE: [Orgmode] Day workflow: need your opinion

From: Jonathan Arkell
Subject: RE: [Orgmode] Day workflow: need your opinion
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:53:31 -0400

I'll take a stab at this...

Lets say you have the following TODO tags defined:

TODO STARTED | DONE
And
PROJECT | CANCELLED FINISHED

And lets say you have project A defined like so:

*** PROJECT Project A
**** TODO Some Larger Task
     - [ ] DO the thing
     - [ ] That other thing
     - [ ] More stuff
**** TODO Complete project
     - [ ] Log hours

When you are ready to start work on project A "Some Larger Task", you mark it
as "STARTED".  As you go through the steps in project A, you would tick off
things as they are completed, and mark larger tasks as done.  When the
interrupting task comes in, decide whether or not it is a one off, or deserving
of a project.

If it is a One-off task, you might put it in a larger Tasks headline.  Again, I
would split out what needs to be done here as a series of smaller todo steps or
checkboxes.

*** PROJECT Interrupting Cow
**** STARTED Put out the fire.
     - [ ] Find the fire hose
     - [ ] Wear Suitable Rubber Boots
     - [ ] Put out fire
     - [ ] Save the day.

Now, if there is another interruption, you can Add another entry:

*** STARTED yet another one-off task.
    - [ ] Give molly the frobniator
    - [ ] send widget to fred.

Now, let's say it's lunch time, and the last thing you want to do is fart
around with org files.  Great.  Go for lunch.

When you get back from lunch, or your break, run a quick agenda command to see
what tasks you have started:

C-a T STARTED

Now you can take a peek at your started tasks, and you know what is currently
holding your immediate attention.

I have a custom agenda set up for work that displays the started tasks right
after the Scheduled tasks and my weekly view.  This makes the following things
immediately apparent:
  1) Any time commitments are at the forefront of my mind and attention
  2) Any work I am currently doing is immediately visible.

When I am being diligent about working with org mode, I keep track of what I am
doing directly into the TODO task, either as a series of checkboxes, or at the
very least, a log of what I have done.  This makes it really easy to get back
to what I am doing.  For instance, if I am knee-deep in hacking some SQL
queries, I'll try em out on my sql buffer, and copy the relevant ones back to
my currently working org buffer.   You can also use org-store-link and
org-insert-link to keep track of your place, which obviously works better if
you are working on a file.  I have found it especially useful for working with
shell commands as well, to keep track of which commands I used, and sometimes
the output of the commands.  Again, this makes it easy to deal with
interruptions, because you can easily  follow your breadcrumb trail back.

Hopefully that helps!