Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-link-mode ...

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-link-mode ...
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 14:55:37 +0200

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 7:02 AM, Eric Schulte<address@hidden> wrote:
> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Lennart,
>>
>> (I'm copying the Orgmode mailing list because it helps to get people's
>> opinion on such ideas...)
>>
>> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I am missing the minor mode org-link-mode. I just had a look at
>>> linkd.el again and decided I wanted to ask you to make a minor mode
>>> out of the link handling in org instead.
>>
>> Org already lets you create links from nearly anywhere in Emacs.
>>
>> What would such a minor mode do?
>>

> Not sure if this is apropos to this conversation, but I've been thinking
> for some time that it would be useful to have a minor mode which would
> activate org-style links in non-org files.  For example if an org link
> in the comment section of a source-code document could be highlighted
> and activated so that the C-c C-o keybinding can be used to follow said
> link. -- Eric

That is exactly what I am thinking of.

But the key binding could perhaps be rethought. Beside that I would
want som unification of link handling where it is possible. Things to
uniffy are for example:

- Mouse handling
- Keyboard keys
- Opening in windows/frames
- Opening in external apps
- Moving between links
- Coordination with moving between widget and buttons (like "tab
stops" in common GUIs)
- Link faces
- Link information