[Orgmode] doc-view-mode (was: Re: [ANN] org-docview.el - Link to PDF fil

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: [Orgmode] doc-view-mode (was: Re: [ANN] org-docview.el - Link to PDF files from org-mode)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 21:30:12 +0200

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> If doc-view-mode could provide native support for those file types, it'd
> be much more realistic to replace standard viewers provided by the os.
> Unfortunately the last time I checked which is quite a while ago, it
> converted those files into images and use Emacs to view them.

Converting the pdf|ps|dvi file to images is exactly what your favourite
viewer does. The problem with doc-view-mode is that it converts *all*
pages on the document to image *files* which are left on some place of
the hard disk.

If doc-view-mode supported the conversion of just the current page to be
displayed on the screen, without leaving behind thousands of image
files, it would be a decent document reader.

[snip]

--
Óscar Fuentes
Desarrollo de Software