[Orgmode] Re: doc-view-mode

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: doc-view-mode
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 22:28:05 +0200

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2009-08-12 20:30 +0100, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Converting the pdf|ps|dvi file to images is exactly what your
>> favourite viewer does.
>
> Could you provide a link to this? I'd like to know more about the
> details.

See the source code of your favourite document viewer.

There is a simple explanation: the screen shows only images, hence
whatever you want to see on the screen must be converted to a image
first.

> However, whatever the pdf viewer does, a proper one makes working with
> pdf files pleasant. For example, skim on OS X is a decent one.

I agree but `pleasant' is a subjective appreciation. doc-view-mode
implements partial scrolling (advance only 90% or so on each screen
down, so the line at the bottom becomes the line at the top) but the pdf
readers I use on Linux (okular) and Windows (Foxit) doesn't implement
this feature, so I often need to micro-adjust the view for reading the
line at the top or the bottom. This is a PITA and the reason why
doc-view-mode is more pleasant for reading books than the other
mentioned viewers.

IIRC OS X has built-in support for ps and pdf, so maybe the doc viewer
there does the same a plain text viewer does on any OS: use the services
provided by the OS for rendering the image.

--
Óscar