Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: changes regarding attachments and subtask

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Feature Request: changes regarding attachments and subtasks
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 08:51:22 +0200

On Sep 2, 2009, at 10:29 PM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

Hello orgers,

I have a task with several subtasks and some of them are associated with
an external PDF file. Since in this case each PDF file exists only for
the corresponding subtask, I think using attachments is a better option
then storing the PDFs somewhere and using hyperlinks.

If each subtask has its own directory everything is fine and using "C-c C-a o" on a subtask with only one PDF will open the PDF without further
questions. However, I'd like to have all subtasks files stored in the
same folder but still be able to reference only the specific subtask
file.

For instance, I have set the :ATTACH_DIR: property of the parent task to
something such as "parent_task_files" and the :ATTACH_DIR_INHERIT:
property to "t". Then in a "subtask1" I have added the file
"file1" (using C-c C-a a) and in "subtask2" I have added the file
"file2". Both of them were added to the folder
"data/parent_task_files" (which is what I want) but no information
(property) is added to the subtasks. Therefore, if I go to subtask1 and try to open the file with "C-c C-a o" it will ask me each file to open:
file1 or file2.

My suggestion is that when I add a file to a subtask in this case it
should add the property :Atachments: "filename" such that even if all
files are stored in the same folder, only the files that I added to this
subtask is associated with it.

Hi Darlan,

The property with the list of attachments is occasionally updated
by org, using a directory listing.  So the change you propose
would not persist.

One way out would be to create a link to the file:  Visit it
when it is already in the attachment directory and store a link.

Another possibility would be a new link type attach: which
does find the correct directory using inheritance.
But I Guess this would be a fragile construct.

- Carsten

ps: I'm using org 6.28e