Re: [Orgmode] Re: Some table questions

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Some table questions
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 08:48:12 -0400

andrea crotti <address@hidden> wrote:

> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > Check out section 12.6.4 (Tables in HTML export) of the Org manual.
> >

> Thanks I found it very nice, my info manual differs from the online,
> maybe because I'm still using version 6.28..
>
> Anyway another thing, nested tables are not allowed, is it correct?
> Sometimes I would like to have one row longer than one cell only but it
> doesn't look possible..

Yes, I think nested tables are not supported.  I think that would be
very difficult to do: the markup is not designed for ease of parsing
(unlike e.g. HTML, where the beginning/end of the table are marked
explicitly).

> Every cell can't contain '\n' also as I found out, is that correct?

Not sure what you mean here: what's a cell? e.g.

| a | b | c |
| d | e | f |

I can consider "a" as the contents of a cell (six cells), or I can consider
"a
 d"

as the contents of a cell (three cells in total). Org itself does not
impose a cell concept on the table: it's just text. How that table gets
translated e.g. to HTML is another matter: the current exporter does
indeed make it into a 6-cell table, but there is nothing stopping you
from enhancing it to do something different. If you do something interesting,
you can always contribute it to org. And if you come up with a compelling
use case, you might even be able to persuade somebody else to do the work
for you !-)

HTH,
Nick