Re: [Orgmode] GTD and adding next actions under projects with remember

From: Desmond Rivet
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] GTD and adding next actions under projects with remember
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 20:23:54 -0400

Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <address@hidden> writes:

> That way I can see a list of next actions immediately by typing C-a a
> t, ordered by importance. With your system I fail to see how you can
> get quick access to your next action list.

I have several custom agenda views defined:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
   '(("w" tags-todo "+waiting")
     ("p" "Project View" tags-todo "+project" ((org-agenda-remove-tags t)))
     ("n" tags-todo "-waiting-project")
))

Next actions are defined as those TODO items that don't have a project
or a waiting tag.  In other words, every TODO item that isn't a project
or waiting item is a Next Action.

So, my wait list can be pull up by a C-c a w, my project list can be
pulled up by a C-c a p, and my next action list can be pulled up with a
C-c a n.

I have tag inheritence turned off for the "project" tag:

(setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance '("project"))

So that way I don't get a project's next actions when I just want to see
the project list on its own.

I like the idea of using TODO's as project items because that allows be
to track "active" projects - active projects arethose which are in the
TODO state.  For example, I just completed a project called "Maine
vacation".  It's done, and I don't want it to show up in my project list
anymore.  But at the same time, I'd like to keep a record of it.

Same thing with the WAIT items.  TODO means "waiting" and DONE means
"I'm finished waiting".

> Desmond Rivet schrieb:
>> The problem is that I have to specify a heading for the template in
>> org-remember-templates in the .emacs file.  This is okay when I want to
>> jot down a new project, waiting item or *generic* next action, because
>> all these items have fixed headings, but I don't know how to make this
>> work when I don't know the heading ahead of time (remember that next
>> actions associated with projects live under the project heading).
> ---Zitatende---
>
> Sorry for not helping with your particular problem (It looks like you
> might want to use C-1 C-c C-c or something like that), but:
>
> It sounds like you're mixing up collecting and processing. You only
> need to fill out the full context in the processing phase. At least I
> use the remember interface for quickly jotting down a note, then get
> back to work. The stuff I "remember" just goes into a Collect.org
> file, which I later process as an inbox.

That's an interesting idea.  My uderstanding was that my "collection"
basket would be managed outside of org-mode, via physical lists on
notepads.  Processing that list would result in my next actions items.
Using remember to put stuff in a separate digital collection basket
seems like a reasonable idea.

Still, I like the idea of quickly being able to add a Next Action item
to a particular project, via a keystroke or two...

--
Desmond Rivet

Pain is weakness leaving the body.