Re: [Orgmode] Defaults for Org variables

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Defaults for Org variables
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:36:43 +0200

> In a different thread, Sebastian Rose writes:
>
>> Footnotes:
>>
>> [1] We should discuss this in an extra thread: make log-into-drawer and
>>    clocking the default and just have it turned on (is it the
>>    default??). It's sooo useful.  And I'm sure, Alice would simply
>>    enjoy it (without any customization !!!).
>
> I am always open to discuss new defaults for variables.  However,
> let me tell you my motivation for this specific case.
>
> While I agree that it is extremely useful to get notes and clocking
> into drawers,  this is a feature that is quite magical for a new
> user and maybe hard to understand.  I mean, you clock in an nothing
> happens - sort of.  This is why I felt it is better to just have
> this stuff plainly visible in the buffer when Org comes out of
> the box.

Hmm - I see.

You're talking about drawers only. Is the clocking feature on by
default? I still have this function in my setup:

 (defun sr-org-todo-state-toggled()
  "Start the clock, if the state of a todo item changes to 'STARTED'."
  (if(string= "STARTED" state)
      (org-clock-in)
    (org-clock-out-if-current)))

 (setq org-after-todo-state-change-hook 'sr-org-todo-state-toggled)

There is some guidance, actually more than most of the other modes
provide. The user can access the clocked task (and clock out) simply
through the modeline menu.  That modeline entry seems to be on by
default, as I can't find anything about it in my setup.

Once clocked in, the user is prompted, if she wants to clock out when
exiting Emacs.

I have to admit, that I'm not aware of the defaults anymore (didn't use
them since a year or so). I'll have to create another user on my system,
to check :)

   Sebastian