[Orgmode] Re: linking to region

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: linking to region
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:44:27 -0400

Maurizio Vitale
<address@hidden> writes:

>     >> Is it possible to grab a link to a region in a file in such a way
>     >> that C-c C-o visit the file after narrowing-to-region?
>     >>
>     >> The reason I'd like this is that I'm starting using org-mode for
>     >> requirement tracking and when referencing a standard I'd find
>     >> preferable to open only the relevant fragment rather than the
>     >> complete document.
>
>     Bernt> I don't think that's currently possible without writing a
>     Bernt> little lisp code.  There is an org-follow-link-hook but it
>     Bernt> doesn't seem to be executed for all link types - only browser
>     Bernt> urls if I'm reading the code correctly.
>
> But the region should be encoded in the link, as there no way to figure
> out what is the extent of the interesting area automatically.

Current links don't have region information - just a match to the first
occurrence of text in the file.  What would a region link look like and
how would you generate one?

> Regarding org-follow-link-hook, I'm not familiar with org-mode code,
>but it seems to me that is invoked for all URL types, but only after
>the 'viewing' has happened. I may well be wrong.

That didn't seem to be the case for my quick test of the hook.

-Bernt

PS. Please use reply-all when responding otherwise I might miss articles
    that are really addressed to me.