Re: [Orgmode] Re: Merge tables

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Merge tables
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 16:31:22 -0400

Bernt Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> Hector Villafuerte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> I've just discovered Org and are truly impressed with it; using it for
>> more and more tasks.
>>
>> Here's what I want to do: I have 2 tables with the same number of rows
>> (one row per subject). I would like to make just one big table by
>> copying the second table to the right of the first one. This is a
>> no-brainer in a spreadsheet but my attempts in Org have failed. Any
>> ideas?

Hi Hector,

Here are two ways of doing this in org-babel.

* Binding tables together by columns

Suppose the tables are

#+tblname: tab1
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |

#+tblname: tab2
|  4 |  5 |  6 |
| 10 | 11 | 12 |

Here's a solution in emacs lisp:

#+srcname: column-bind-elisp(a=tab1, b=tab2)
#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(mapcar* 'append a b)
#+end_src

#+resname: column-bind-elisp
| 1 | 2 | 3 |  4 |  5 |  6 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 |

And here's a solution in R, which has the advantage that it copes with
column names (and the code is even simpler).

#+tblname: tab3
| a | b | c |
|---+---+---|
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 7 | 8 | 9 |

#+tblname: tab4
|  d |  e |  f |
|----+----+----|
|  4 |  5 |  6 |
| 10 | 11 | 12 |

#+srcname: column-bind-R(a=tab3, b=tab4)
#+begin_src R :colnames t
cbind(a, b)
#+end_src

#+resname: column-bind-R
|   1 |   2 |   3 |   4 |   5 |   6 |
|   7 |   8 |   9 |  10 |  11 |  12 |

Once someone has written them, even simple code blocks like these can be
stored in the "library of babel" for users who aren't familiar with a
suitable programming language (I'll add them on worg).

Dan