Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export of images

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] LaTeX export of images
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:28:59 +0200

On Sep 22, 2009, at 3:39 PM, Francesco Pizzolante wrote:

Hi,

I have a question about the LaTeX export of images.

I wondering why we treat differently images with caption/label than the ones
that do not have caption/label.

I suppose that we want to make the difference between images that appear in the middle of the text and those who will appear in a float (with possibly
label and caption).

1) Images in the middle of the text

If I have the following example:

   ,----
| For this example, I will use this image [[myimage.png]] which is a very good one.
   `----

Then, when exported, it produces the following LaTeX code:

   ,----
   | For this example, I will the use this image
   | \centerline{\includegraphics{myimage}} which is a very good one.
   `----

Which produces weird layout when compiled to PDF.

In this case, we should just generate \includegraphics{myimage} without the
centerline command.

2) Images in floats

In the case of floats, the correct generated code should be something like:

\begin{figure}[htb]
       \centering
       \includegraphics{myimage}
       \label{LABEL}
       \caption{CAPTION}
\end{figure}

and not

\begin{figure}[htb]
       \centerline{\includegraphics{myimage}}
       \label{LABEL}
       \caption{CAPTION}
\end{figure}

This can also be fixed quickly I think.

Yes sure, but what is wrong with \centerline? does the \centering lead to a different result?

- Carsten

Now, the question is: is it correct to identify a "float" image thanks to its caption and label attributes? Can't we have a "float" image without label or
caption?

Thanks for your help and input.

Francesco