Re: [Orgmode] Problems using org-babel

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Problems using org-babel
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 14:14:30 -0400

Keith Lancaster <address@hidden> writes:

> I enabled org-babel according to the instructions on worg, but am
> running into a number of issues which I am guessing are a function of
> my configuration. For example, enabling org-babel completely breaks
> remember mode, giving me a "wrong ..." argument (sorry - don't have it
> in front of me) error.  Adding a python source block still allows
> exporting, but adding a ruby block causes a "wrong..." error as well
> when I try to export. I guess the real question is how do I debug
> this? I am relatively new to emacs, and not familiar really with how
> to track some of these issues down.

Hi Keith,

In general, a good approach is to replace your personal configuration
file with an absolutely bare-bones file -- which only contains the
"official" recommended configuration for org-mode and
org-babel:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation
http://orgmode.org/manual/Activation.html#Activation
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/org-babel.php#getting-started

Presumably you have installed org-mode yourself, rather than using the
version that comes with emacs (otherwise you would not have org-babel),
so minimally that would be something like this:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/your/location/of/org-mode/lisp")
(require 'org-install)
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)

(add-to-list 'load-path "/your/location/of/org-mode/contrib/lisp")
(require 'org-babel-init)
(require 'org-babel-ruby)      ;; requires ruby, irb, ruby-mode, and inf-ruby
(require 'org-babel-python)    ;; requires python, and python-mode

With a configuration like this, org-babel should not interact badly with
remember mode. So if you're still seeing this problem, please report
back, telling us *exactly* what steps you did, in addition to operating
system, org-mode version, emacs version. Error messages in emacs tend to
get copied to a buffer called *Messages*, so that's a convenient place
to retrieve the exact error message from -- perhaps you could send the
last few lines from there. If you don't see the problem then you can add
your personal config back in incrementally until something breaks.

For the problem with ruby, could you send a minimal file containing a
ruby block with which you have a problem? Have you definitely got the
various ruby dependencies installed (ruby, irb, inf-ruby.el,
ruby-mode.el). What operating system and version of org?

Dan