Re: [Orgmode] Re: allow emacs-lisp results to be pretty-printed

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: allow emacs-lisp results to be pretty-printed
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:22:52 -0600

Hi Benny,

Benjamin Andresen <address@hidden> writes:

>> where should this special parameter be documented?
>
> I would add a page on Worg that is linked from org-babel.org that
> contains the following.
>
> I have done this for org-babel-screen.org here:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/org-babel-screen.php
> (might not be visible yet, because Worg is only exported from git every
> hour or so)
>
> Is that a good way to do this?
>
> * Header Arguments
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :CUSTOM_ID: header-arguments
>   :END:
> - results :: supports everything documented
>
> [[file:org-babel.org::results%20arguments%20specify%20what%20should%20be%20done][here]]
>   as well as
>   - pp :: pretty prints results and replaces any previously inserted
>           results from code block

There is currently a header-arguments [1] section to the Org-babel page
on worg.  This is the place where this sort of documentation should be
added.

WRT the pp patch for emacs-lisp, I think it is an excellent addition and
in fact I think that it points to a more general need.  Languages should
have the option of returning values as they would appear when written in
the language.  That is how they would be printed in a source-code file.
This seems to be what your pp patch does for emacs-lisp.  In fact such
output should be wrapped in a #+begin/end-src block for fontification of
the results on export.

Would you feel like attempting this change?  If not I will add it to the
TODO section of the babel development file on worg.

Thanks! -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/org-babel.php#header-arguments