Re: [Orgmode] [babel] :session

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] :session
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:59:49 -0600

Hi Tom,

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> Aloha all,
>
> In org-babel.org one of the R examples uses a header argument :session that
> is not otherwise documented.

What a glaring omission, we will have to add this to the documentation.
Thanks for pointing this out.

> I don't trust my Lisp understanding enough to learn about it from the
> source code.  Would it be possible to add it to the documentation?

In the mean time, a quick overview of the session argument is that it
allows the execution of source-code blocks to take place in a persistent
"session".  So in R rather than evaluating the block using the R command
line, an *R* buffer will be created and evaluation will take place in
that buffer.  This allows the persistence of environment between
different source-code blocks.  So it would be possible to create a
variable in one source-code block, and reference it in another if both
blocks have the same session header argument.  Adding a string after
:session will name that session, while just the session header will use
the default session -- i.e. *R* for r code, or *ruby* for ruby, etc...

Best -- Eric