Re: [Orgmode] Integration with jsMath for HTML export of latex equations

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Integration with jsMath for HTML export of latex equations (feature request)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 10:53:22 +0200

Hi Darlan,

On Oct 16, 2009, at 6:36 PM, Darlan Cavalcante Moreira wrote:

Hello org-users,

I know that it is possible to export equations as images if you set the variable
org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments to t, but I prefer to use jsMath
(http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/) for equation in HTML. The problem is that when org-export-with-LaTeX-fragments is set to nil org-mode interprets underlines, hats and Greek letters and replace them in the generated HTML.

Would

#+OPTIONS ^:nil

already do what you want?

If you get this working, can I ask you to write up some instructions
on how to use this with Org and post them here?

Thanks.

- Carsten

I agree that this is nice in most cases, but I need them to be left untouched, since they will be later interpreted by jsMath when I'm viewing the page in a browser that supports java-script. Therefore, my "feature request" is disabling this smart behavior of org-mode when latex fragments are not converted to
images.

I also need to add a line in the HTML header to load the jsMath script, but this is
easily accomplished with the line
#+STYLE: <SCRIPT SRC="../jsMath/easy/load.js"></SCRIPT>
in the org-file header.

Here are some advantages and disadvantages about using jsMath instead of images.
Advantages:
- It's really pretty when you have all the fonts installed and you can zoom
  without any loss of quality.
- No need to generate images when exporting
+ When you see the generated HTML page the jsMath script is run each time you reload the page. Because modern browsers are increasing more and more the efficiency of the java-script engine this is not a problem even if there are
    a lot of equations in the generated page.
+ On the other hand, creating images when exporting can take considerable
    time when there are man equations.

Disadvantages
- More difficult to setup
+ you have to install jsMath for authors, since you are creating pages with it. + you have to install jsMath for users, that is, install the fonts that will be used. If this is not done, jsMath will use images for the equations. You won't need to generate images when exporting, since jsMath already has all
    images (it just put the pieces together)
- It is more inconvenient to send the generated HTML page to a friend, since
  your friend will need to install the fonts used by jsMath.

Darlan