[Orgmode] [off-topic/GTD]Only Next Actions list to rule them all ?

From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Subject: [Orgmode] [off-topic/GTD]Only Next Actions list to rule them all ?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 00:15:24 -0500

Hello list,

This is for the GTD orgers out there. I've taken the article written by Charles as a basis for my GTD implementation. In the end, it's all about what works for you, but I'd like to get some insights/opinions from you: For Next Actions, are you using a single list OR you organize them hierarchically under each project (in the projects list)?

I started with the second one, putting each next action (TODO) item under its correspondent project, however, it quickly became too bloated, and a mix of projects, sub-projects and next-actions. Of course, org helps there with sparse trees and other functions to filter trees, but still, I found it was too complex, albeit more specific and I did felt I was more "organized", even though I was getting lost.

So, I just let go of my obsession about the perfect thing and decided to try a single Next Actions list, together with a Projects list. The next actions is a single list with all the actionable items from all the projects. I've lost the relationship between a next action item and a project, but I can do this easily by just looking at the action, having the system tell me is not that important.

So, basically, a bunch of projects and next actions, weekly review, collect-process-organize-review-do and that's all.

Who knows, over time I might find that there's a better way... well, but Keeping It Simple is sometimes the best approach, even though org is so flexible that one might fall in the rabbit hole :)

Thanks,

Marcelo.