[babel] Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Meta-LaTeX-Python-Environment

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: [babel] Re: [Orgmode] org-babel: Meta-LaTeX-Python-Environment
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:52:50 -1000

On Oct 28, 2009, at 6:10 AM, Dan Davison wrote:

Dear thread participants, please note that we were breaking the rule of
prepending the subject line with the string [babel]!

One question inline below.

"Eric Schulte" <address@hidden> writes:

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

On Oct 27, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:

Although I still don't fully understand the need to embed latex
*inside*
of source-code blocks, perhaps the attached org-babel-latex.el file
[1]
will represent a simpler solution for embedding the results of
source-code blocks in latex source-code blocks.  It makes use of
the :var org-babel header argument as shown in the attached example
file
[2]. To reproduce first load org-babel-latex.el and then evaluate the
latex block (note the results are already in the file from my test
evaluation).

Hope this helps -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  <org-babel-latex.el>
[2]  <latex.org>

Thanks for this, Eric.  It looks neat.  I was happy with all the
little .tex files, but agree with Torsten that this path is
potentially cleaner.

Please let me know if you do find this useful or have any suggestions.
If it proves useful I will add it to the org-mode repository.

Am I right in thinking that one issue remaining in this thread is that
we currently have no means of tangling the output of org-babel-latex?
Thus the 'begin_src latex' blocks that we can tangle have unevaluated
variables, and the resulting 'begin_latex' blocks have evaluated
variables but can't be tangled? (We could extend tangling to cover such blocks, or perhaps preferably use ':results code' to generate 'begin_src
latex' blocks?)

Dan

Hi Dan,

I haven't found time to evaluate org-babel-latex, but, yes, the example provided with the code raised a concern that the 'begin_latex' blocks are divorced from the literate programming structure built up by the named 'begin_src latex' blocks. Ideally, I think, the 'begin_latex' blocks would replace <<noweb>> references to their source 'begin_src latex' blocks, or would employ some other mechanism that doesn't break the literate programming structure I create.

Tom