Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: contact management in org-mode?
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 22:10:59 -0500

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 09:48:16AM +0100, Uwe Jochum wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> has someone tried "forms" for the purpose of contact management? See:
>
> http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Gnu/emacs-21.1/html_chapter/forms_frame.html
>
> Best,
>
> Uwe

Given the discussion about a "simple" database, it struck me that I
might just use properties and column mode. Dynamic fields and views,
hotlinks, VC, text file...

---
#+COLUMNS: %20ITEM %10Company %14WorkPhone %15WorkEmail

* Smith, Bob                                                          :WORK:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :Title:    Chief Decider
  :Company:  Boodle Bits
  :WorkEmail: address@hidden
  :WorkAddress: 1234 Waddle Lane
  :WorkCity: Anywhere
  :WorkState: TX
  :WorkZip:  080384
  :WorkPhone: 281-555-1212
  :WorkCell:
  :WorkFax:
  :HomeEmail:
  :HomeAddress:
  :HomeCity:
  :HomeState:
  :HomeZip:
  :HomePhone:
  :HomeCell:
  :HomeFax:
  :END:

Bob's note here, neatly folded.

---

Now, I know this won't give me synchronization. Unfortunately I think
that's a lost cause currently, I just want a way to find a contact.

Fast finding on the CLI?

awk 'BEGIN {RS="\n\n\\* " ; IGNORECASE=1} /chief/ {print $0}' Contacts.org

I can even adapt that to give me emails for mutt.

Yes there's no way to push this to CSV and back, but I could write
something in an hour in Perl to do so. (feature idea! Export
column-view as csv...)

I thought I'd post here for feedback prior to committing my contacts
to this format.

Thanks.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden