Re: [Orgmode] Full web server for org-mode

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Full web server for org-mode
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 14:49:22 -0700

andrea Crotti <address@hidden> writes:

> I was thinking if it could be a good idea.
> Instead of static project exporting I could have a web server
> (maybe in elisp) that export projects on demand, only if html is older
> than source file.
>
> That would be useful to get maybe a way to navigate everywhere
> in our org-world without exiting the browser and being always up to date.
>
> Maybe it could also take the agenda, export to ical and open it with a
> whatever reader.
>
> What do you think, would it be a nice idea?

Hi Andrea,

This is certainly a nice idea.  This is basically how blorgit [1] works.
Blorgit relies on an instance of Emacs running the emacs-server [2]
which sits behind a simple Ruby web-server running Sinatra [3].
Whenever a page is requested blorgit hands that page to Emacs through
the server, Emacs exports the page to html using org-mode, and the
resulting html is rendered.

It would be straightforward to add agenda exports to this setup.

It would be nice if Emacs had it's own native elisp web server
implementation, but this is not currently the case, and really doesn't
seem practical while Emacs is single-threaded.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php

[2]  see (info "(emacs)Emacs Server")