[Orgmode] Re: Monthly events based on count of specific weekdays

From: Ben Finney
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Monthly events based on count of specific weekdays
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 23:23:12 +1100

Matt Lundin <address@hidden> writes:

> Ben Finney <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > How can I set an event in Org mode that repeats every month, on a
> > specific weekday, on a week counted from the start of the month?
[…]

> > Taking “first Tuesday of the month”, if I set it this month on
> > <2009-11-15 Sun>, it should next repeat on <2009-12-20 Sun> and so
> > on each month.
>
> From the org manual:
>
> ,----[8.1. Timestamps, deadlines, and scheduling]
> | DIARY-STYLE SEXP ENTRIES
> |      For more complex date specifications, Org mode supports using the
> |      special sexp diary entries implemented in the Emacs calendar/diary
> |      package.  For example
> |
> |           * The nerd meeting on every 2nd Thursday of the month
> |             <%%(diary-float t 4 2)>
> `----

Ah. Where can I find documentation on “the special sexp diary entries
implemented in the Emacs calendar/diary package”?

> Here's how to schedule the examples above:
>
> * First Tuesday of month
> <%%(diary-float t 2 1)>
>
> * Third Sunday of month
> <%%(diary-float t 0 3)>
>
> * First or third Wednesday of month
> <%%(or (diary-float t 3 1) (diary-float t 3 3))>

Hmm. That makes the entry unreadable as a date+time. One of the main
advantages of the usual Org date+time specifications is they're
perfectly readable even to people who know nothing about Org, Emacs, or
Lisp. Is there a way to get a readable format that still behaves as I
described?

--
 \     “I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in |
  `\   my body. Then I realized who was telling me this.” —Emo Philips |