Re: [Orgmode] org-indent-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-indent-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 10:20:01 -0500

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 14:17 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2009, at 9:07 PM, Matt Price wrote:
>
> > Are these two incompatible, or is there something wrong with my setup?
> > Using org-mode 6.33c and a recent emacs snapshot (20090909), turning
> > org-indent-mode on stops visual-line-mode from indenting properly.  As
> > soon as I turn org's intentation off, vusial-line-mode starts working
> > normally again.  I would *love* to have both of htese working properly
> > -- is there anything I can do?
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "visual-mode indents properly".  I am
> not using visual-line mode.  So you you describe better what visual
> line mode does and what features of it exactly disappear when you turn
> on org-mode?

sorry carsten.  also I think I should have said "wraps" rather than
"indents".
Visual-line-mode is a replacement for longlines-mode; it soft-wraps text
at the screen boundary, and does a much better job than longlines-mode
did.  When I'm writing anything that's not code I rely on it entirely.
But I also *love* the new indent mode in org -- it's much easier for me
to see hierarchical relationships than it was in earlier versions
(thanks _very_ much for the new feature).  So I'd like to use them
together; but when org-indent-mode is turned on, visual-line-mode no
longer soft-wraps at all.  you can try it out with M-x visual-line-mode,
and the manual description is here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Visual-Line-Mode.html

Is that what you needed?  I'm not sure where the code for
visual-line-mode lives -- there isn't a visual-line.el anywhere that i
can find on my system.  Thanks much,

matt