[Orgmode] Re: Sending org-mode nodes

From: Łukasz Stelmach
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Sending org-mode nodes
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:35:20 +0100

Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Łukasz Stelmach) writes:
>> Sebastian Rose <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Not sure. I only remember bad things with self generated
>>> message-IDs. But I never tried it myself. Reading the RFCs will help.
>>
>> RFC 2822
>>    The "Message-ID:" field provides a unique message identifier that
>>    refers to a particular version of a particular message.  The
>>    uniqueness of the message identifier is guaranteed by the host that
>>    generates it (see below). (...)
>
> Still, not sure. From what I read about message IDs, they are to be
> produced by mail servers - not email clients.

Take a look at this for example:
    http://www2.gnu-pascal.de/crystal/gpc/en/raw-mail13179.html

This is a message created with Pine for Linux (look at Message-ID)

> If my provider (gmx) receives my outgoing mail, it deletes the
> Message-ID and generates a new one. They do not want Humpdy Dumpdy to
> send mails with their own Message-ID, because there's a risk: it might
> not be world-wide unique. I would do that, too.

This is wrong. They should do it if the message lacks it but it's
not thier problem if it's not unique. They pass the message and forget
about it. As far as I know no MTA even logs Message-ID.

> I cannot set the Message-ID in mailers like Gnus, Evolution, Outlook,
> Thunderbird.

*You* can't do it which doesn't mean your MUA doesn't do it behind the
scenes.  You can do it with mutt. When you edit with headers and put
Message-ID you get it sent.

> If I'm wrong, I'd be interested in a way to that - so I could try it
> myself.

I'm giving Gnus a try now the message id of this post should be
    <address@hidden>
I've just put the header above the --text follows this line--

--
Miłego dnia,
Łukasz Stelmach