Re: [Orgmode] latex export and beamer columns

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] latex export and beamer columns
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:12:26 +0000

At Sat, 21 Nov 2009 14:34:18 +0100,
Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> this looks very nice!  I just tried beamer for the first time,
> this is very simple now.  Maybe I can drop powerpoint, at least
> for some stuff.

Thanks Carsten!  Definitely drop powerpoint... I would highly
recommend org-mode to you ;-)

Seriously, the arguments for beamer versus PP are the same as (IMO)
latex versus Word and, for me, come down to text versus binary and
open versus proprietary...

> I think we need a good beamer tutorial on Worg, including this
> column stuff, and some text about image treatment.
>
> Any volunteers?  Anything missing in Org that we should implement to
> support this better?

I may be able to help write such a tutorial (although not before xmas
as I'm bogged down with lectures [and hence my interest in getting
columns working in beamer!] at the moment).

At the moment, the only thing that is missing in org-mode to beamer is
some way to specify arguments to the \frame command, options such as
[shrink] or [t].  At the moment, there is no mechanism that supports
this.  Something like attr_frame may be necessary just as we do with
figures, as in:

,----
| #+attr_frame: shrink=20
| *** This is a slide with a lot of text
`----

I have no idea how easy or difficult this would be to implement, mind
you.

There is also the issue of animation, specifically the <N> tags for
items in lists but most behaviour like this can be handled with \pause
statements so I'm not too worried about this.