Re: [Orgmode] Re: Collaborate with heretics

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Collaborate with heretics
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:25:37 +0000

Yours is an interesting question, and it's one I've thought about as
well.  I have a friend just starting a PhD, and she was asking me how
I keep my work.  Org+emacs is great for me.    I sometimes also think
anyone who needs a robust tool and can muster the patience to learn it
should try org/Emacs.

But then I shake my head.  I'm still just a beginner after a year,
unable to muster more than the simplest elisp, forever forgetting
bindings and printing out new lists to past to my office walls.  Emacs
has come along with the times in some very nice ways, but, friends,
it's /hard/.  My friend is not a big fan of computers (wants to 'do
work', imagine!)  So I had a hard time recommending it to her.

I don't mean to push Andrea's question off topic. We could debate that
statement.  I debate it myself all the time.  (Is Emacs hard or is it
easy?)  But it's at least arguably hard.  Or rather, it's hard to
stick only to the easy stuff.

As  to Andrea's question.  It's true that most editors aren't capable
of producing a full implementation of something like org-mode (is
any?), but perhaps one or two implementations of org-lite would be a
useful thing, for collaboration, and for beginners.   It could perhaps
even use the org-mobile framework.

And about the full 'spec'.  I think the best we've got is the manual.
which is not bad, though it's not a full spec in the same way as the
Restructured Text manual.

Scot