Re: [Orgmode] Re: latex export and beamer columns

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: latex export and beamer columns
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 18:25:19 +0000

At Thu, 26 Nov 2009 02:52:04 +0100,
Łukasz Stelmach wrote:

> I've just tried something simplier and IMHO more flexible (widths).

> * The Title
> ** The Section
> *** The Frame
> #+latex: \begin{columns}[t]
> #+latex: \column{.5\textwidth}
>    - My point
>    - Your point
> #+latex: \column{.5\textwidth}
> Conclusion
> #+latex: \end{columns}
>
> Unfortunately the the plain list is not recognized and converted to
> itemize. When I remove the "#+latex: \begin|end" stuff then the list
> looks as it should.

(note that my response has probably been superseded by Carsten's
recent message regarding beamer support in org mode but this still
might be of some interest)

I am not sure what to say!  IMO, it's not simpler although I guess it
could be more flexible.  However, you say it doesn't work?

One alternative based on your approach is to define begin and end
commands for the columns environment that avoid using "\begin" and
"\end" which org interprets.  Maybe something like this:

#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer

#+latex: \newcommand{\BC}{\begin{columns}[t]}
#+latex: \newcommand{\EC}{\end{columns}}

* The main section
*** An interesting slide
    \BC
    #+latex: \column{0.4\textwidth}
    - an item with enough text to show the width of the column
    - another item
    #+latex: \column{0.6\textwidth}
    - an item with enough text to show the width of the column
    - and yet another
    \EC

which appears to work just fine.  Whether it's simpler or not depends
on what you want.  I like using org headlines to be able to hide
individual columns and to be able to move them around easily.