Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Beamer support in Org-mode
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 00:51:05 +0100

On Nov 26, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Dan  wrote:

<...>
On Nov 26, 2009, at 1:17 AM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

<...>
NOW is the time to chime in.

I don't know if this is helpful from someone who hasn't thought through the details of beamer support but just in case: is there any chance that
we should be thinking at this stage of a generic org-presentation API
which would initially support just beamer but which would leave open the
possibility for others to implement other slide presentation engines?
For example I remember that someone once brought up the possibility on
this list of exporting org to OpenOffice presentation format. And it's
possible to create something like a slide-show in HTML/CSS -- although I
never see anyone doing it. There are at least some things in common
between different slide-show engines, such as where to break from slide
to slide, slide titles, non-slide notes, etc.

This is an interesting thought, but would require someone skilled
in his area, and a lengthy design process.  LaTeX is not a bad
default for org, because it is LaTeX-centric anyway.... ?

Also, I do agree with others that to the extent possible we want
presentations to emerge naturally out of 'normal' org-files with the
help of established org mechanisms such as selective subtree
export. E.g. using the heading title to set the column width feels
wrong; the natural reaction is to think that that sort of metadata
should be in a property.

OK, I hear you all pull the same string, that Org-mode files should be beamer presentations as they are, more or less.

Here are some ideas in that direction:

1. Don't automatically use a specific headline level to create the columns
   environment - at least make that configurable.

2. Make beamer export force org-export-headline-levels equal org- beamer-frame-level,
   so that headlines below the frame level automatically become itemize
   levels, unless modified by tags or properties.

3. Use meta data to make headlines special, instead of mixing this
   stuff into the.  I first thought this is too hard - but maybe it is
OK when edited with column view? Hmm, I am only half-sold on this - properties
   are so hard to see when you need them frequently during editing.

Thomas asked for the possibility to export a subtree as a
presentation, with *relative* levels determining functionality.  This
should be easy - when selection a subtree with `C-c @' and then exporting,
relative levels are already being used now, for any kind of export.

- Carsten