Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Emacs for email?

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [OT] Emacs for email?
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:56:08 -0600

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 09:15:27PM -0500, Dan Davison wrote:
> Keith Lancaster <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I apologize for the WAY off topic question, but since you folk are
> > emacs experts....do you use emacs for email, and if so, what do you
> > use? Org-mode caused me to switch to emacs after programming for 30
> > years in other editors, and so like many emacs converts, I'm not
> > wanting to exit the app :-).
>
> Also gnus. It's very nice once it's working and it's fine to get it set
> up if you're good at that sort of thing or have a few spare weeks. The
> manual is extremely comprehensive and pretty funny but basically
> horrifying. The summary buffer containing news/emails will look awful to
> start off with but it is possible to make it look nice (e.g. the
> wikipedia screenshot) by configuring gnus-summary-line-format and (if
> not in a terminal) by using non-ascii arrow characters to represent
> threads e.g.
>
>   (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-vertical        "???")
>   (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-leaf-with-other "????????? ")
>   (setq gnus-sum-thread-tree-single-leaf     "????????? "))
>
> Dan

I'm suppose I'm still an exception here. I'm using Mutt, though I edit
outbound messages in emacs.

My email toolchain goes like this:

 - fetchmail downloads from several different servers
 - procmail sorts email into the proper inbox or other folder
   - I use maildir for backend storage, I gave up on mbox a long time ago
 - Mutt reads the email in all the various folders
 - Mutt automatically changes my email address depending on the
   recipient or folder according to a series of "roles"
 - Mutt spawns an emacsclient in order to edit an outgoing message
 - msmtp uses the from header to determine which mail server to use
   for outbound SMTP

Gnus, MH, Wanderlust, etc would only replace the Mutt portion, which
is really only reading the email and the "roles" support.

As a sidenote I have dovecot setup so that my maildir folders are
accessible to Thunderbird in Windows should I choose to access it
inside VMWare.

I'm open to using Emacs constantly, so whats the big draw for these
other mail modes?

Russell Adams                            address@hidden