[Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] Executing sh-code
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:27:02 +0100

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

>>> While "sh" blocks should work "bash" blocks will not be recognized. In
>>> org-babel "sh" doesn't explicitly mean the "sh" command, but rather means
>>> 'run shell' which will default to whatever shell you have configured.
>>
>> I wonder if it wouldn't be beneficial to make such a feature explicit. I
>> think
>> the right shell environment cannot be guessed at runtime. Am I right?
>
> Hmm, currently we just use the `shell' command which defaults to the user's
> defined shell. I would have to investigate as to how to explicitly specify a
> particular shell to run, but I certainly do see your point that there are
> times when an explicit shell environment would be desirable.
>
> I'll create a TODO to reflect this need.

OK. Thanks.

>> Let's imagine two use cases:
>>
>> 1. I only have zsh on my machine, and I'm writing a document with bash code
>>    blocks. What if the user executing them is using zsh as his default shell?

I meant "I only have bash on my machine". But, whatever, you understood my
point.

>> 2. I have both bash and zsh installed on my machine. I want to write some
>> code
>>    blocks in bash, and other in zsh. How can I make the difference explicit?
>>
>> BTW, a "needed" feature is the executable flag for shell scripts. I found a
>> reference to it ("PROPOSED make tangled files executable? At least if using
>> shebang line") on http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/development.php.
>
> Yes, I agree that this should be implemented, patches are welcome :)

I can imagine. My skills are still maybe a bit low to be productive in that
area. But I really would like to help. Second problem is -- and that must be
the same for everybody (you included) -- a deep lack of time, with real work
for real clients to be done during day, and little daughter to be taken care
of for (almost all) the rest of the time.

That's not an excuse. If I get time, I'll try to...

> Thanks for the very useful feedback, hopefully we'll be able to make
> some progress in these areas soon.

For the time I can now spend on Org-mode, I am making a document that uses
(part of) all the power of Org-babel. My intention is to share my result to
all of you, when it gets finished. That way, maybe I'll get feedback and
improvements as well on it...

It will be helpful for both Org-babel'ers (as an example) and for others as
well, for automating the creation of reports about... sshhht. Will tell when
it's done.

The plan is to use the best of what you give to us, including tables, shell
scripts and R plots.

Best regards,
  Seb

--